Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

Educational Support Services

We know that deciding and moving to university or college can be an exciting and stressful time. At Complete Communication, we aim to make this transition as smooth as possible. We have years of experience in providing educational support (Non-medical helpers) via Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) to support Deaf and disabled students to be able to access education and workplace settings. We pride ourselves on ensuring the support we provide matches with the students and course needs. We are also a member of the Association of Non-manual helper providers.

What we do:

  • We spend time to ensure that support is tailored to your needs and course requirements
  • Monitor all academic support to ensure DSA funding or equivalent is not exceeded.
  • Provide consistent support and support professionals throughout your education and employment journey​.
  • We can assist with getting set up with DSA.

How to Apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

To have the best possible chance of Complete Communication Services LTD supporting you through your education, follow the steps below when applying for your Disabled Students Allowance (DSA):

  1. Make sure you have a doctor’s note confirming your impairment or health condition, or a diagnostic assessment of your learning difficulty from a psychologist or specialist teacher.
  2. Apply for DSA through via Student Finance England
  3. Arrange your Study Needs Assessment.  You can find an assessment centre near you, or your course provider, using the DSA Quality Assurance Group website.
  4. Attend your Study Needs Assessment – this is an informal chat with an Independent Needs Assessor, it is not a test.  You'll be asked about your course, and what challenges you experience as a consequence of your disability.  During the assessment, ask your Assessor to call Complete Communication services LTD for a quote for your non-medical help.
  5. After the assessment:
    • You will receive your Awards Letter, which will tell you what equipment and support has been approved for you.
    • Contact Complete Communication LTD to arrange your support.

Student support offered via DSA:

  • Library Support Assistant
  • Reader​
  • ​Scribe
  • Workshop/Laboratory Assistant
  • Sighted Guide
  • Proof Reader/Text Checker
  • Study Assistants
  • Exam Support Worker
  • Manual Notetaker
  • Specialist Notetaker (Deaf/Hard of Hearing students) including Electronic NoteTaker
  • Specialist Notetaker for Deaf/Hard of Hearing students - Respeaking
  • Specialist Notetaker (VI Students) - including Braille
  • Specialist Notetaker for Deaf/Hard of Hearing students - Speech to Text Reporter (STTR)
  • Specialist Transcription Service
  • Communication Support Worker (CSW)
  • Communication Support Worker with British Sign Language Users (CSW-BSL)
  • Lipspeakers
  • BSL/English Interpreter - Includes Interpreter for the Deaf or Deafblind People
  • Specialist Mentor - Mental Health Difficulties (MH)
  • Specialist Mentor - Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC)
  • Specialist one-to-one Study skills and strategy - Specific learning disability (spLD)
  • Specialist one-to-one Study Skills and Strategy Support - Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC)
  • Assistive Technology Trainers (AST)
  • Specialist Support Professionals for Deaf Students (HI)
  • Specialist Support Professional for students with Vision Impairment (VI)
  • Specialist Support Professional for students with Multi-sensory impairment (MSI)

What our students have said

First year Quantity Surveying

Final year Catering and Hospitality

First year Early Childhood Studies

"I am very impressed to how this ‘remote notetaking’ works. . . It has totally changed my perspective on this, for the good."

First year Early Childhood Studies

Final year Catering and Hospitality

First year Early Childhood Studies

"Marvellous and exemplary support. I am remarkably pleased with it."

Final year Catering and Hospitality

Final year Catering and Hospitality

Final year Catering and Hospitality

"I really appreciate the variety of support that I was given and also the personal touch that was provided"

Accreditations and Memberships


Next steps

Higher education within Plymouth

What we require from you?

Please send us:

What to expect from us?

  • Once we have received your entitlement letter, we’ll be in touch within one working day to take some additional information.
  • We’ll discuss with you the type of support you have been recommended and introduce you to your Student Support Worker.
  • We aim to complete the set up of your support within three working days.​

Do you have questions?

We are here to make sure that your journey into higher education is as soon and hassle-free as possible. If you have any questions about going to university, studying, the student lifestyle or even about the beautiful city of Plymouth, then please do get in touch!​

What our support professionals think about us

Electronic notetaker (Anonymous)

Electronic notetaker (Anonymous)

Electronic notetaker (Anonymous)

Working with Complete Communication and the team is such a breeze! They are extremely knowledgeable and always put the students and support professionals first!

I look forward to working with them going forward into the future to improve the standards of higher education support.

Rachael Davies (CSW and TSLI)

Electronic notetaker (Anonymous)

Electronic notetaker (Anonymous)

"(Students name) is lovely to work with, and this has been a great opportunity!

It has been a breeze working with your company as the commutation between you, and it has been fantastic. You're doing a great job, and this is by far the best company I have liaised with as there haven't been any issues.... which is amazing!! 

I always think that it is highly important to praise a good company as they are rare to find within this industry.

I'm looking definitely be interested in working with you all again".

Work with us

For information on how to register as a freelancer, please contact recruitment@completecommunicationltd.com or complete the below form. Include your name, contact details, qualification and which role you would like to register as.